Cabrini celebrates National Volunteer WeekDate: 13/05/2013
Cabrini is celebrating National Volunteer Week 13-19 May, Australia’s largest celebration of volunteers and volunteerism. Today in Australia more than 6 million people volunteer annually. This represents more than one-third of Australia’s adult population.
At this special time of year, Cabrini recognises and thanks the valuable contribution each of our volunteers makes in offering their time, skills and passion, continuing to demonstrate Cabrini’s heritage of helping others.
Cabrini is fortunate to have a broad and diverse range of voluntary activities that contribute to the nature and culture of our organisation, the range of services that we are able to provide and the quality of our patient and family experience.
About Cabrini volunteers
- Cabrini has an almost 200-strong force of patient and resident services volunteers who provide value-added services to our patients and residents – they provide more than 26,000 hours of service annually, working in a diverse range of services and departments such as our popular gift shop at Cabrini Malvern, emergency department, the Cabrini Wig Room at Bayside, our biography service and helping to guide patients and families to their destinations in our hospitals
- Heartbeat Cabrini, more than 25 years young, provides a vital contribution – members directly support patient care, providing patients with someone to talk to who has “been there and done that”; members also raise funds for Cabrini’s cardiac services
- Cabrini Choir, whose 38 on-song members, enliven and enrich many Cabrini events through their joyous contributions – the rehearse every fortnight and give approximately 20 performances each year
- Almost 20 pastoral service volunteers support Cabrini’s pastoral practitioners by assisting with sacramental care either directly with patients and residents or in sacred spaces such as our chapels.
- The Patient and Family Register, established in August 2011, has 24 members who volunteer their time to provide input and feedback into Cabrini’s plans and services
- Cabrini’s social outreach program volunteers make an important contribution to our mission at Cabrini therefore Cabrini is committed to increasing staff participation in social outreach and community development activities – we are on the right track, recently increasing staff involvement in our social outreach program by 40 per cent