Your admission to hospital
Your admission to Cabrini will be arranged by your doctor’s office.
You will receive the Cabrini Patient Admission Information booklet with the Patient Admission Registration Form and Health Questionnaire. This form is used to collect important information to ensure your smooth admission to Cabrini. Prompt completion and return of the following forms will confirm your admission to Cabrini and ensure that appropriate arrangements are made in preparation for your visit:
- Registration form
- Patient health questionnaire
- Acknowledgement of consent
A separate health questionnaire is available for children under 16 years and please note that Brighton patients will not receive a questionnaire.
Our Pre-Admission Service will provide you with information about your forthcoming hospital stay and help plan for your return home. A Pre-Admission telephone interview is required for all surgical patients who are staying overnight at Malvern and all Brighton patients. If you are undergoing complex surgery, you may also need to visit the Pre-Admission Clinic. A family member is welcome to accompany you.
Should you require any assistance to complete the forms, or have any queries, please call:Pre-Admission Service
Tel: 9508 1439
Monday–Friday 9 am-4 pm
Any queries of a medical nature should be directed to your doctor.
Before coming to hospital
- Obtain an up-to-date list of your current medications from your general practitioner or local pharmacist. Please bring the medication list with you on the day of your admission to hospital
- Complementary or alternative medicines should not be taken two weeks prior to surgery. Please check with your treating doctor
- Follow your doctor’s instructions regarding admission time, special preparation,fasting and medications prior to surgery.
Check your insurance details:
- If you have private health cover, we suggest you contact your health fund to confirm that your admission is covered, and if there are any co-payments/excess which may apply to this admission
- If you have a compensation claim such as Workcover or TAC, please confirm your entitlement for this admission with your insurer
- If you are uninsured or self-insured, please contact Patient Services Malvern on 9508 1789 or Brighton on 9508 5888 for an estimate of costs for hospitalisation which is payable on admission
- Please ask your doctor to explain the medical fees which may be incurred
- Interpreters may be arranged through the nursing staff. Please notify Cabrini prior to admission if you need an interpreter.
Patients for elective surgery may be contacted by the Nursing Pre-Admission Service to discuss the patient health questionnaire and complete a nursing preadmission.
If you have any queries regarding this questionnaire, please contact your doctor, general practitioner or the Nursing Pre-Admission Service.
A Cabrini midwife will contact you with information about our maternity services including childbirth education, breastfeeding clinic and domiciliary midwifery services.
What to bring with you
- Any doctor/s letters, reports, notes, consent forms
- All relevant x-rays and scans
- All medication repeats and authority scripts
- An up-to-date list of your current medications authorised by your general practitioner or pharmacist
- All medications currently being taken, in the original labelled pharmacy container (including inhalers, patches, drops, injections and herbal/complementary medicines).
It is important for us to know what medicines you are taking. We also need to know if there have been any recent changes to your medicines.
- Healthcare card, Pharmaceutical Safety Net card
- Health fund card, DVA card for veterans
- Medicare card and pensioner concession card
- Letter of authorisation for treatment from Workcover or TAC.
- Nightwear, dressing gown, slippers
- Physical aids
- For children: a favourite toy or book
- For babies: disposable nappies and infant formula (two bottles).
Medical Treatment Act
If you have appointed an Enduring Power of Attorney (Medical Treatment) and/or completed a Refusal of Treatment Certificate and wish them to be applied to your hospital admission, please inform the nurse on admission.
Wireless Internet (WiFi)
Free wireless internet is available to patients with their own mobile browsing device. However, Cabrini does not accept responsibility for loss or damage to your device.
Please do not bring valuables, large sums of money or jewellery. Cabrini does not accept responsibility for patients’ valuables or property brought into the hospital.