Most tests have no special requirements, however a small number of tests need an appointment or special instructions to be followed.
Tips on preparing your child for a blood test - download
Certain tests require that you stay at the collection centre for a longer period
- Glucose Tolerance Test (GTT) – 2 hours
- Glucose Challenge Test (GCT) – 1 hour
For most tests, no appointment is required, however some tests require an appointment prior to attendance.
- Holter Monitor
- Blood Pressure Monitor
For further information Phone 9508 1434.
Tests that require fasting
The following tests require a patient to have fasted prior to collection of the sample. These include:
- Lipid testing including cholesterol, triglycerides, HDL/LDL,
- Glucose and GTT,
- Growth hormone,
- Fasting Insulin.
To ensure reliable and accurate test results, it is important that you follow these instructions carefully if you are having a fasting test.
- Nothing to eat or drink (other than water) for at least 8-12 hours
- Plain water consumption is acceptable and encouraged to ensure good hydration.
- Tea, coffee and soft drinks must not be consumed during the fasting period.
- Smoking should be avoided.
- If you have fasted for longer than 15 hours, we may need to consider rescheduling your test as prolonged fasting can affect some results.
- If you are a diabetic or are taking medication, please consult your doctor before fasting
Additional patient information
Designed for the Australian healthcare consumer for reliable and up to date information on pathology tests, refer to the website Lab Tests on LineAU.