Cabrini has a limited number of work experience placements for Year 10 students from December each year. Work experience gives Year 10 students time at Cabrini to learn about an occupation or industry by observing others or completing tasks under supervision. It is an opportunity for secondary students to develop skills and networks and to decide what they would like to do in the future. It's an opportunity for Cabrini to showcase the many and varied occupations there are in health and potentially attract future staff. Students are placed with Cabrini primarily to observe and learn – not to undertake activities which require extensive training or expertise. Not all areas allow or have the resources to accommodate work experience students.
Benefits of work experience;
- insights into what a career involves
- structured, supervised, hands-on experience
- useful work skills that are recognised in the workplace
- confidence in the ability to learn and become competent at new tasks
- work/life skills such as communicating effectively or working in teams
- a chance to demonstrate how the student can contribute in a work environment
- an understanding of the working world
- an opportunity to demonstrate commitment and reliability
Work experience plays a vital part of the student’s time at school. It allows them to 'test the waters' and experience what it is like to be working '9 to 5' instead of just school hours.
Conditions of acceptance of the work experience program at Cabrini
In order for a student to be considered for Cabrini’s Work Experience Program:
- The student must be in Year 10 and 15 or 16 years of age while on work experience (we do not accept Year 11 or 12 or university students)
- The student's educational institution must provide indemnity cover for the duration of the placement via the appropriate Victorian government form
- The work experience student will be paid at $5.00 per day
- An application for a placement must be made via the online form - CLICK: Online Work Experience Application Form only
- The department/ward must be willing and able to accommodate the placement.
Please contact the Work Experience Coordinator for all placements. Please do not contact individual managers at Cabrini - separate arrangements made with an individual manager or consultant will not be honoured by the Cabrini Work Experience Coordinator
Formal requests for work experience placements
ALL work experience applications from Year 10 students must be received by the Work Experience Coordinator in People Services in December to mid-January for a placement in the next year (e.g. put in an application via the online form from 1 Dec 2018 - 15 Jan 2019 for the 2019 school year). Placements for the entire year fill up very quickly. We strongly suggest that students apply to more than one organisation for work experience as Cabrini cannot guarantee a placement.
APPLICATIONS FOR THE 2019 WORK EXPERIENCE PROGRAM ARE NOW OPEN UNTIL 15TH JANUARY 2019.
- Download the Cabrini Health Confidentiality Policy here If you have specific questions about our program please contact:
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org OR
- Post: Work Experience Co-ordinator, People Services, Cabrini, 183 Wattletree Road, Malvern 3144
Students who applied for the 2019 Work Experience Program during the open application period: you will be notified in late February or early March 2019 if you will be offered a placement at Cabrini or whether your area(s) of preference are full. The Work Experience Coordinator can be reached in People Services by telephone on (03) 9508 5307 or by email at email@example.com during business hours of 9 am to 4 pm Monday to Friday only. Again, we strongly suggest that students apply to more than one organisation for work experience as Cabrini receives far more applications than it has placements. No late applications or requests for special consideration from students who have not applied during the open application period will be accepted.
On line applications for the 2019 Work Experience will only be accepted between 1st December 2018 - 15th January 2019 - please check this site at that time.
- Cabrini offers a maximum of one week placements only
- Only one student per department in any one week
- No back-to-back placements are arranged in one department/ward – if a department/ward has a student one week, they will not take a student placement the next week
- Students must be relatively flexible with their placement dates
- Year 10 students with a parent [mother and/or father] currently employed by Cabrini are given preference with work experience placements each year. This does not include others who may work at Cabrini sites but are not direcly employed by Cabrini.
SHADOWING A DOCTOR - Cabrini receives many requests from students to shadow a doctor on rounds; observe in operating theatres; or follow a doctor in our Emergency Department for a day or week but we are unable to accommodate these requests. No student is permitted to attend theatre areas, the Emergency Department or accompany a doctor on ward rounds at any time.
MATERNITY / CHILDREN'S WARD - Cabrini does not allow students in these areas.
ALLIED HEALTH (PHYSIOTHERAPY, OCCUPATIONAL THERAPY, SPEECH PATHOLOGY) - These areas are unable to take work experience students at this time
CONSULTANT DOCTORS - Work experience students who wish to have a placement with a private consultant who has an office or medical practice at Cabrini should speak directly with the consultant’s office as Cabrini is not responsible for placing students with them nor will the student be allowed to then be placed within any area at Cabrini if the work experience placement is arranged with the independent Consultant
CODE OF DRESS – Students are required to dress neatly with sensible shoes. No shorts, thongs, short dresses, bare midriffs or jeans – we are a hospital and students should be dressed appropriately.
PAYMENT - Cabrini pays the students $5.00 per day which is paid in cash on their last placement day if working on the Malvern campus. If they have a placement on another campus, a cheque is sent to the student at their home address